Hats have successfully made their way to the men and women’s fashion. They are everywhere. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, styles, and prices. If you own a signature hat, you need to be extremely careful in handling it to make sure it is going to last for the years to come. In this article, we are going to give you some tips on how to make your hat last for the years to come.
Hat storage tips
- Place your hat on a flat surface, upside down.
- Hang your hat on a peg or a hat rack.
- For long-term storage, you should place your hat in a box to support both the brim and the crown. Make sure that the hat box is stored in a cool and dry place.
Hat cleaning tips
- Remove the dirt by brushing it using a horsehair brush. Do not use nylon bristles. There are brushes specially made for hats.
- Use light-colored brush for light-colored hats and dark brushes for dark colored hats.
- If there is dust, you can wipe it away using a slightly damp cloth.
- To remove hair and fuzz from your hat, you should wipe the hat using a piece of tape.
- For stains, you can gently remove it using a sponge specially made for hats or a gum eraser.
- When handling your hats, you have to make sure you handle it by the brim and not by the crown. If you have the habit of grabbing your hat by the crown, then ditch that habit.
- Make sure your hands are clean when touching the hat so as to avoid transferring grime to it.
- Do not touch your hat when your hands are wet. This is very basic but unfortunately, a lot of people do it. If your hat is wet because you get caught in the rainstorm, allow the hat to dry naturally. As much as possible, you should not use artificial heat as it might distort the hat. Make sure that when you attempt to dry the hat, you keep it in its normal shape. Why? Well, a wet hat will dry in the same shape as you leave it.
- If your hat is made from a straw material, you need to make sure you keep it dry at all times. Moisture build up can cause the straw material to swell and eventually its shape will be distorted.
- As much as possible, you should keep your hat away from the direct heat of the sun. Even leaving it in the hot car is a big no because it causes the color to fade and the shape of the hat will be distorted. It will shrink with time
Hats are a fashion treasure. The tips mentioned above are just some of the things you can do to take care of your hat and make it lasts for the years to come. Taking care of your hats does not need to be expensive and complicated.